Monday, October 02, 2006

Creation

It's difficult for me to describe the beauty of the North Woods. My mom and I just got back from visiting Bud-n-Sue (my uncle and his wife) in Minoqua. Those of you, (Lisa, Megan and Tina) who have been there, will attest to the perfection of their little cabin in the woods. And it's even more perfect now. Bud vaulted the ceiling, replaced the nasty shag carpet with a teak-wood floor, and completely renovated the kitchen. It's beautiful. The perfect autumn getaway.

I got up around 8am Sunday to get ready for church. I was practically alone in the house as Bud and Sue are not churchgoers and were still in bed and my mom was in their camper in the front yard. (her own little apartment for the weekend)

The scene out their back windows was breathtaking. The sun peeking over the tops of the trees creating steam on the surface of the lake and setting the fall colors on fire. I took my coffee and my journal out to the deck and just...sat. And it was quiet. A silence interupted only by the sound of the loons.

I don't think I've ever seen a loon but their call is the hallmark of the North Woods. It's an eerie lonely sound. My senses were full of God's creation and I was stunned by the beauty.

I was also stunned and saddened that going to church didn't feel like a continuation of my comtemplative frame of mind, but an unwelcomed interruption.

I think there's something wrong with that...but I don't know how to change it.

No comments: