Sunday, January 20, 2008

Plays Well With Others

After 4 years of living alone I now am sharing my living space with a roommate. I met her at the very beginning of last semester when I didn't know anyone. She and I became friends quickly and then had to say goodbye when she left for her semester in Rome. She and I kept in touch while she was there and so I knew that she hadn't figured out where to live when she got back. I, of course, need to not spend so much. Having someone share the rent while I cut back in other ways will assure that I won't starve before next year's loan arrives. This is good.

On the other hand, I will have to relearn patience with the living habits of another person. I don't anticipate any problems because Jessica is great...but she is another person who will be inhabiting what used to be My Apartment. I'm sure this will take some getting used to for both of us.

Other than the financial benefits, I will also have someone to talk to, and more importantly, I will have someone to listen to. When living alone, one tends to be much more focused on one's self. There's really no need to think about anyone else. My mess is my mess. The dishes aren't done? It's because I didn't do them. Also, when I'm alone I think about me and all my "problems," which is not even slightly productive. I'm looking forward to the distraction, actually. My problems are all consuming sometimes...but really...they're mostly just boring.

So I'm cautiously looking forward to my semester with a roommate. I think we will both grow from it and that is always a good thing.

No comments: