Monday, January 29, 2007

Restaurant Etiquette Part I

I did not start this blog as a vehicle to complain about my experiences waiting tables. There are some awesome waiter blogs out there (waiter rant being my favorite) and I've never wanted to compete with them.

But I have just a few things for people to keep in mind....(and by "people" I mean everyone other than the 4 people who read my blog.)

  • If you've waited an hour and a half for a table then it probably means the restaurant is busy...consequently, your server will be busy. And it is probable that he or she has other guests in his or her care. So this is a good time to remind yourself that you are not the center of the universe.
  • If your drink is empty, shaking your ice around in the glass 6 inches off the table as your server walks by is never a good idea. Please refer to the Please and Thank You chapters of your kindergarten textbooks.
  • If your server makes a mistake it's because he or she is human and not because they were really hoping to ruin your night. The more you bitch about it the more your server retracts their initially sincere apology.
  • If you enjoy making servers stay late while you refuse to pay the check you are pathetic and should consider a less passive aggressive hobby.
  • If your server comes to the table with their hands full but they forgot your cocktail sauce, chances are they didn't forget, they just left their extra set of arms at home that day. Keep your mouth shut and give them a chance to come back with it.

Thanks for letting me vent kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>If your drink is empty, shaking your ice around in the glass 6 inches off the table as your server walks by is never a good idea.<<

Please tell me someone didn't really do that.

This is why I would make a bad waitress--I couldn't take that. I would make sure to "accidentally" drop some hot soup on their head or something. Or perhaps I'd dispense with the thinly veiled hostilities and go straight to throttling.

Lisa said...

Oh people do it at least every other shift. Always men. And my guess is they're used to their asses being kissed by the "peons" who work at the country club.