Friday, March 21, 2008

Holy Thursday and the Mass of the Lord's Supper


I came home after benediction last night and my roommate was watching EWTN (bad Catholic TV.) Pope Benedict the XVI was washing feet

I never thought, after all those years dabbling in evangelicalism, that I would love liturgy. At one time these rituals of Catholicism seemed rigid and void of genuine, spontaneous worship. I have found that spontaneity is highly overrated and that the lack of it does not hinder genuine worship. In fact quite the opposite is true.

The liturgy, quite simply, is. The worship is. Neither is dependent on the abilities of the musicians or the mood lighting or the drums. It doesn't matter how "in tune with the Spirit" the worship leader is. Even my own disposition is not a factor. God is worshiped regardless. I can participate, or I can just show up and be present. What makes it different from our praise and worship nights is that the pressure is off. I don't have to worry about "getting into it" because "it" does not require "getting into." It is enjoyed more fully the more actively and consciously I participate, surely, but "it" doesn't require it.

Also, when each movement of music, or the body happens, it is for a reason. People who don't understand laugh about the standing/sitting/kneeling/sitting/kneeling. But they are each done for reasons that one can choose to remember, or not. I will never not kneel during the consecration again. (Fieldhouse liturgies being the only exception as there is barely enough room to stand sometimes.) If the parish I'm at doesn't have kneelers I will kneel on the ground. Not because I'm holy or anything but because the One who is Holy is present. At that moment I am transported in time to the foot of the cross.

Holy CRAP that is awesome!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about some rowdy praise and worship (I am still part charismatic after all) but these days of solemn joy are not the same without the rich tradition of our rituals and their deep meaning.

After Mass was a candlelight procession that followed the Blessed Sacrament to the chapel for adoration...and then Benediction. After that, all the tabernacles in the world are empty and Good Friday begins.

No comments: